Built in the 19th century

Everyone that sets foot over the almost 200 year old thresholds have been so deeply touched that it became evident that these historical homes are truly a place meant to be shared with the world. These old homes come to life when filled with the smell of coffee at dawn, the sound of laughter in the high ceiling rooms, candles lit at night.

The houses inhale when shutters are opened every morning and, the soft sounds of the Eerste River reaches one in the still, early morning air. The surrounding mountains with their pink hues greet the traveller, and welcomes one to the wonderful winelands!!

Spaces are filled with objects, furniture to remind one of a time long passed, where stillness and patience was a way of life.

Kolonies’Tuin, at 22 Die Laan, is one of the Beyers houses. These houses, situated from 16 to 32 Die Laan, were built by Jan Marthinus Beyers (1832 – 1910). He bought the land between Neethling Street and the Dwarslaan in 1881 and planted a vineyard on it. Towards the end of the 19th Century
there was a shortage of housing in Stellenbosch and Jan Beyers saw this as an opportunity to build houses in the property, the present Van Riebeeck street, Neethling Street and Die Laan. Most of these houses have fortunately survived to the present day.

The six semi-detached houses at the top of Die Laan (22 to 32) of which Kolonie’s Tuin is one, are
generally accepted as a beautiful example of town architecture of the period and are a very important part of the atmosphere of Die Laan.

It is accepted that Die Laan originated in 1781 as a track linking the old Stellenbosch Drosdy (The present Theological Faculty ) at the western end of Die Laan with the farm road to Jonkershoek. On a map of Stellenbosch, which was drawn by Willem Hertzog in 1827, the two rows of Oak trees in die
Laan are clearly visible.

Originally Die Laan was only used as a walkway. It is unknown when it was opened up to vehicles.

The ground on which the present Laanhof Victorian house was built was originally known as Koloniestuin (Colony Garden) and was used as farmland on which the Magistrate of Stellenbosch kept his animals. It is known that buildings were erected on the land in the 1780’s to house animals
such as cows, poultry and rabbits. The buildings were originally knows as “ the menagerie” 

This is now our home, that we would love to share with you.